Monday, December 27, 2010
50 Favorite Songs of 2010 (Part I)
I spent the last couple weeks going through tons of music, trying to find my favorite songs from the past year. I was finally able to finish my list last night, evened it out at 50 songs. Some of these you'll surely know (you may have even heard them on here earlier in the year) and others will probably be new to you, I think it's a pretty good mix of some popular bands along with some lesser known artists. I've split the list into two days of 25 songs, you'll find some repeat bands over the entries for my favorite albums from 2010 (and there's even one artist with three songs listed).
I think just about everything is available on Itunes so you'll be able to pick any of these up if you like something you hear. Hope you enjoy this, as always thanks for reading/listening along! In no particular order, here we go.........
1. "No One's Gonna Love You" - Cee Lo Green (from the album "The Lady Killer")
- Great cover of the original by Band of Horses..........
2. "Suburban War" - Arcade Fire (from the album "The Suburbs")
- "Now the music divides
Us into tribes
You choose your side I'll choose my side"
3. "You Wouldn't Have to Ask" - Bad Books (from the album "Bad Books")
- Very cool collaboration by Kevin Devine and members of Manchester Orchestra.
4. "Pyro" - Kings of Leon (from the album Come Around Sundown)
- "Little shaken babies, And drunkards seem to all agree,
Once the show gets started, Its bound to be a sight to see"
5. "Blue Beard" - Band of Horses (from the album "Infinite Arms")
- I got a text from my buddy Chuck one night earlier this year that read, "Is there anything more beautiful than "Blue Beard" by Band of Horses?" I don't think there is, he nailed it...... favorite song off this album, just a gorgeous tune.
6. "From Above" - Ben Folds & Nick Hornby (from the album "Lonely Avenue")
- A unique collaboration from Ben Folds and author Nick Hornby where Hornby provided the lyrics to the album with Folds providing all the music.
7. "Draw Your Swords" - Angus & Julia Stone (from the album "Down the Way")
-"So come on Love, draw your swords
Shoot me to the ground
You are mine, I am yours
Lets not fuck around"
8. "Bloodbuzz Ohio" - The National (from the album "High Violet")
- Love the tempo of this song, especially the driving snare drum.....
9. "Ambling Alp" - Yeasayer (from the album "Oddblood")
- "You must stick up for yourself son
Never mind what anybody else done
Stick up for yourself son
Never mind what anybody else done"
10. "Whirring" - The Joy Formidable (from the album "A Balloon Called Moaning")
- "All these things about me you never can tell........"
11. "Excuses" - The Morning Benders (from the album "Big Echo")
-This song sounds like it could have been released 50 years ago.... and it would still be great.
12. "Home" - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros (from the album "Up From Below")
- "Ahh, Home
Let me come Home
Home is whenever I’m with you"
13. "Movielike" - Jimmy Eat World (from the album "Invented")
- "Nothing movie-like
People just tire to fight the constant battle
Waiting to see a sign?
Then you've seen the best already"
14. "Who Knows Who Cares" - Local Natives (from the album "Gorilla Manor")
- Easily one of the best albums of the year, and this is probably my favorite track. Love the percussion that kicks in at 1:40 (the drumming on this whole album is phenomenal).
"you could let it down
jump into the river baby
easy as it sounds
it's never quite as easily done
the current has us now, it's ok
take into account that it's all about to change
who knows, who cares"
15. "Impressions" - Jarrod Gorbel (from the album "Devil's Made A New Friend")
- This is a pretty cool tune, kind of reminds me of something from the late 90s, maybe like "Dog's Eye View".
16. "Moneygrabber" - Fitz & The Tantrums (from the album "Pickin' Up the Pieces")
- This song is AWESOME, one of the most fun songs of the year. Put on your dancing shoes!
17. "Macon" - Jamey Johnson (from the album "The Guitar Song")
- I don't listen to a ton of country but really dig this song.
18. "You Do You" - Bear In Heaven (from the album "Beast Rest Forth Mouth")
- "To let the forces
Arm your heart
Don't let the rumors
Get you down
So what? Who cares?
You be strong"
19. "Something Good Can Work" - Two Door Cinema Club (from the album "Tourist History")
- "Took a little time to make it a little better,
it's only going out, just one thing and another,
20. "Little Lion Man" - Mumford & Sons (from the album "Sigh No More")
- I may be cheating a bit on this one since it technically came out in 2009 in the UK but it didn't get released in the US until 2010 so I'm putting it on this list. Really solid album and this is my favorite song from a bunch of good ones.
"but it was not your fault but mine
and it was your heart on the line
i really fucked it up this time
didn't I, my dear?"
21. "These Days" - The Black Keys (from the album "Brothers")
- Amazing song from one of the best albums of 2010. Heavy, heavy tune.....
"These blood red eyes
Don't see so good
But what's worse is if they could
Would I change my ways?"
22. "Ultraviolet Light" - Ryan Adams & The Cardinals (from the album "III/IV Disc 1")
- Late entry here, this album just got released about a week ago. Ryan released about 30 songs that he had stashed away and there's some real gems in there, this one included.
23. "In Sleep" - Lissie (from the album "Catching A Tiger")
- "Why am I so terrified of waking?"
24. "Born Again" - Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons (from the album "Death Won't Send a Letter")
- "I been feelin like my old self again
because momma didnt raise me to be no christian
and i been drinkin to my own health again
well raise another glass for the unforgiven
you know i will, you know i will"
25. "All of the Lights" - Kanye West (from the album "My Own Dark Twisted Fantasy")
- Where to start with this album.... my #1 for 2010. Awesome guest appearances throughout, so many great tracks, hard to even pick just a few but this is definitely one of my favorites.
"Turn up the lights in here, baby
Extra bright, I want y'all to see this
Turn up the lights in here, baby
You know what I need, want you to see everything
Want you to see all of the lights"
That's a wrap for the first 25, the rest to follow tomorrow with Part II......