Thursday, August 18, 2011

Scattered Trees @ Brooklyn Bowl - 8/17/11



Last night I made a trip over to Williamsburg, Brooklyn to check out Scattered Trees at Brooklyn Bowl. I've been wanting to get to this venue for awhile now and it did not disappoint. Brooklyn Bowl is a bowling alley/restaurant/bar/concert venue..... sounds like a random combination but trust me, it works. The acoustics were excellent and it's just a great space to see a show.

I got my hands on the Scattered Trees album "Sympathy" early this year and have been listening to it quite a bit since. I've written about them several times over the last eight months or so but this was my first time catching them in concert. The band was the second group on the bill and sounded great the minute they hit the stage. Their set was mostly comprised of songs off their album so I was familiar with the majority of the material and impressed that the songs translated so well in a live setting. The album is pretty mellow but some of the songs really took on a new life in person.

My favorite song off the album is called "A Conversation About Death On New Year's Eve" and Scattered Trees ended up playing it early in the set. Definitely one of the highlights for me along with a song called "Five Minutes". Sympathy is a really solid album, very listenable from start to finish and worth picking up if you don't have it.

I setup on the rail just off to the side of the stage and had a nice unobstructed view all night. I took a video of "A Conversation..." and several pictures which you can find below. I was really impressed with the performance, I think these guys are bound for some big things in the future. I got to speak with a couple of the band members after the show and I can definitely say that they're good people, I'll be rooting for them along the way.


A CONVERSATION ABOUT DEATH ON NEW YEAR'S EVE









No comments: