Tuesday, December 28, 2010
50 Favorite Songs of 2010 (Part II)
Picking up where we left off yesterday with the final 25 songs, enjoy!
26. "Becoming A Jackal" - Villagers (from the album "Becoming A Jackal")
- "I was a dreamer
Staring at windows
Out onto the main street
Cos that's where the dream goes
And when I got older, when I grew bolder
Out onto the streets I flew"
27. "Footshooter" - Frightened Rabbit (from the album "The Winter of Mixed Drinks")
- Another excellent album from 2010, hard to pick between a handful of great tracks on the record but this is one of my favorites.
"Hold on to your thumbs, tighten your eyelids
Lock up your ears, my dear, I'm verbal when I am loaded
Duck under that desk, cover your neck
Thicken your skin as I begin to shoot myself in the foot again"
28. "Piece By Piece & Frame By Frame" - Deer Tick (from the album "The Black Dirt Sessions")
- This album didn't get a ton of press but it's one of my favorites of 2010, I typically love the Deer Tick releases. This one is a bit more stripped down than their other albums but I really like the songwriting on this record.
"So ask me again yes lets meet again
You know I’ve built a kingdom on second chances, yes I did."
29. "Runaway" - Kanye West (from the album "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy")
- My favorite track from the new Kanye album, love the beat.
"And I always find, yeah, I always find somethin’ wrong
You been puttin’ up wit’ my shit just way too long
I’m so gifted at findin’ what I don’t like the most
So I think it’s time for us to have a toast"
30. "My Girl The Horse" - Fences (from the album "Fences")
- "Neither one of us will make it down this, hill alive"
31. "In The Dirt" - S. Carey (from the album "All We Grow")
- You might recognize S Carey from the group Bon Iver, this track is from his solo album.
Cause I believe
We were meant to see
In the dirt"
32. "Harlem River Blues" - Justin Townes Earle (from the album "Harlem River Blues Country")
- "Good times come and they go, even a good man'll break
He'll let his troubles bury him whole even though he knows what's at stake
So I'm taking no chances, carrying over while I'm still good in His grace
I'm no fool, mama, I know the difference between tempting and choosing my fate"
33. "Change of Time" - Josh Ritter (from the album "So Runs The World Away")
- "I had a dream last night
I dreamt that I was swimming
And the stars up above
Directionless and drifting
Somewhere in the dark
Were the sirens and the thunder
And around me as I swam
The drifters who'd gone under"
34. "Too Afraid To Love You" - The Black Keys (from the album "Brothers")
- "All those sleepless nights
And all those wasted days
I wish loneliness would leave me
But I think it's here to stay
What more can I do
I'm wringing myself dry
And I can't afford to lose
One more teardrop from my eye"
35. "The Cave" - Mumford & Sons (from the album "Sigh No More")
- "Cause I need freedom now
And I need to know how
To live my life as it's meant to be"
36. "Quarry Hymns" - Land of Talk (from the album "Cloak and Cipher")
- "How deep is this soul I feel I'm in?
Seen a lot of light and done a lot with it
How deep is this hole I feel I'm in?
Seen a lot of light and done a lot with it"
37. "Cards and Quarters and Green Lights" (Local Natives vs John Legend & Andre 3000) - The Hood Internet
- This is actually a mash-up but I had to include it, so damn good. Get this on your party mix.
The Hood Internet - Cards And Quarters And Green Lights (Local Natives x John Legend & Andre 3000) by hoodinternet
38. "We Used To Wait" - Arcade Fire (from the album "The Suburbs")
- "Now our lives are changing fast
Hope that something pure can last"
39. "No" - Ryan Adams & The Cardinals (from the album "III/IV Disc 2")
- Another great tune from Ryan Adams, this song reminds me of his album "Rock N Roll" from 2003.
40. "Rambling Man" - Laura Marling (from the album "I Speak Because I Can")
-"let it always be known that i was who i am"
41. "Afraid of Everyone" - The National (from the album "High Violet")
- "With my kid on my shoulders I try
Not to hurt anybody I like
But I don't have the drugs to sort,
I don't have the drugs to sort it out, sort it out"
42. "Madder Red" - Yeasayer (from the album "Odd Blood")
- Probably the strangest video of the year yet I really like the song.
43. "Fistful of Mercy" - Fistful of Mercy (from the album "As I Call You Down")
- If you haven't heard this album, it's a collaboration consisting of Dhani Harrison, Ben Harper and Joseph Arthur, pretty cool stuff.
44. "Taxi Cab" - Vampire Weekend (from the album "Contra")
- "I remember
But if I'd forgotten
Could you tell?"
45. "Precious Stone" - Pete Yorn (from the album "Pete Yorn")
- "I found a way to live forever
I found a place where no one cares"
46. "Swim Until You Can't See Land" - Frightened Rabbit (from the album "The Winter of Mixed Drinks")
-"Dip the toe in the ocean. Oh how it hardens and it numbs.
The rest of me is a version of man, built to collapse into crumbs.
And if I hadn't come down to the coast to disappear
I may have died in a land-slide of the rocks, the hopes and fears.
So swim until you can't see land."
47. "Twenty Miles" - Deer Tick (from the album "The Black Dirt Sessions")
- "Now if I had no boots, I'd trek through the mud
While mosquitos are racing to draw the first blood
If you're runnin' away, then I'm lookin' for you
And if you've lost your way, I'm seein' you through."
48. "Wide Eyes" - Local Natives (from the album "Gorilla Manor")
- "All the men of faith and men of science had their questions
Could it ever be on earth as it is in heaven?"
49. "Power" - Kanye West (from the album "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy")
-"I’m livin’ in the 21st century
Doin’ something mean to it
Do it better than anybody you ever seen do it"
50. "The Immortals" - Kings of Leon (from the album "Come Around Sundown")
- "The open road, the path of greatness
It's at your fingers
Go be the one that keeps on fighting
Go be the stranger
Just put your foot in front' the other
Crow like the rooster
We are allowed to get us something
Free as a danger
Spill out on the streets of stars
And ride away
Find out what you are
Face to face"
... and that's a wrap! Hope you enjoyed the list and found some new tunes for your library/workout mix/party mix/etc. Thanks for following along, here's to another year of great tunes in 2011!