Thursday, April 16, 2009

Coachella 2009: Saturday Recommendations



At first glance of the schedule for Saturday 4/18, I think I'd be spending a lot of time in the tents early in the day, and then moving to the the Main & Outdoor stages for the evening, finishing back at the tents for late night. Actually kind of a good schedule logistically. Here's what I'd be checking out:

1:00-1:30: P.O.S (Mojave Tent): If you're there early enough, P.O.S is one of only two acts playing at 1pm so you've got a pretty good chance to see him. I think the Mojave Tent should get a pretty good crowd for his set but be far from full. I've been listening to this guy a lot lately and I think he brings something pretty unique to the festival, definitely a great way to kick off Saturday.

"Goodbye"

1:30-2:10: Ida Maria (Gobi Tent): After P.O.S, you can take the two minute walk over to the Gobi Tent (which is the smallest of the performing tents). Early in the day, it shouldn't be tough to get in but as the days go later, it gets harder and harder to get into the Gobi. I really like Ida Maria, something about her voice kind of reminds me of Chrissie Hynde from the Pretenders. Again, there's not a ton going on at this time so this is definitely a good chance to see an up and coming artist.

"Stella"

2:30-3:10 Bob Mould Band (Gobi Tent): If you're up for hanging tight for a bit after Ida Maria's set, she'll be followed in the Gobi Tent by Bob and his band. If you're not familiar with Bob, he's got a pretty extensive history going back to his days in Husker Du and Sugar. Some good old fashioned rock to keep the vibe going, the opportunity to see these guys on such a small stage is a pretty cool opportunity.

"I Apologize & Chartered Trips"

3:45-4:35: Blitzen Trapper (Gobi Tent): As you can tell, I've got an early Gobi theme going. I'd probably take a break after Bob Mould's set to grab a drink but I'd stay close so I could get back in for the Blitzen Trapper set. I haven't seen these guys in concert but their music seems pretty chill, might be a good way to spend an hour kicking back and relaxing before making your way over to the main stage area for the evening sets. I'd bet that this set will be pretty packed.

"God & Suicide"

5:10-6:00: Michael Franti & Spearhead (Main Stage): The festival should be in full swing by this point, and the Main Stage and Outdoor Stage areas should be buzzing with a lot of people getting ready for a great night of bands. I haven't seen Michael Franti in years but from my previous experience, I'd guess that this will be a pretty fun set. Good time to grab some dinner and hang out by the main stage.

"Say Hey"

6:25-7:15: TV On The Radio (Main Stage): This is probably one of the most interesting acts of the whole festival for me. Pretty much everyone I talk to loves these guys but I've never been able to really get into them for some reason ( I do love "Wolf Like Me" though, awesome song). I'd really like to see their live set and see if I'd come away with a different mindset. I'm sure there will be a huge crowd for these guys, should be a major draw.

"Halfway Home"

7:25-8:15: Fleet Foxes (Outdoor Stage): After TOTR, I'd make two minute walk next door to the Outdoor Stage for Fleet Foxes. Talk about a band that's really taken off over the last year, these guys have become pretty big, well deserved after their great album last year. I still haven't gotten a chance to see these guys so I'd really be interested to check out their set, should be a good one.

"Ragged Wood"

8:40 -9:30: Band of Horses (Outdoor Stage): Without question, this would be one of my highlights for the festival. I've really gotten into these guys over the last year and can't wait to see them in a couple months. I can only imagine how cool their set will be at night in the Coachella Valley.....going to be an awesome backdrop for a really good band. If you're going to check out one group on Saturday, this would be my number one choice, these guys have some incredible songs.

"No One's Gonna Love You"

9:30-11:00: Chemical Brothers (Sahara Tent): The Sahara Tent is a good 10 minute walk (maybe 15 minutes after being on your feet all day) so I'd miss the beginning of their set to finish Band Of Horse but it's worth the walk. This will be a really cool DJ set and I'm sure people will be going nuts. When I first heard they were added to the festival, I thought they'd be out on a main stage, the thought of them playing the Sahara is pretty insane.

"Hey Boy, Hey Girl"

11:10- Close: MSTRKRFT (Sahara Tent): If you're still in the mood for more after the Chemical Brothers' set, you can just stay right in the Sahara Tent for a MSTRKRFT set that will probably end sometime in the early morning. I have to say, out of all the bands I've seen at Coachella over the last two years, MSTRKRFT in Sahara two years ago was one my favorites. Don't really think you can go wrong here, unless your legs are about to fall off (which is entirely possible at 11pm).

"Coachella 2007"

11:05-Close: Mastodon (Mojave Tent): If you finish Chemical Brothers and still feel like checking out some more music but are done with the dance scene, just take the short walk over to the Mojave Tent. Even though this is a late set, Mastodon has been getting some major buzz, especially about their latest album "Crack The Skye". From what I've heard so far, it's a really solid album and there's sure to be a good crowd there to close out Saturday night.

"Ghost of Karelia"

Aright, those are my Saturday suggestions. Have a great time and as always, I'd love to hear comments and thoughts from anyone reading. Sunday's preview will be up tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Tino said...

Gotta recommend Dr. Dog at 4:05 as well. Great band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV9QmCpcu2A