Friday, April 17, 2009

Coachella 2009: Sunday Recommendations



Looking at the Sunday schedule, I actually think it's the weakest of the three days, which may be a good thing because you can be pretty exhausted by the third day. I'd probably end up getting a bit of a late start, but here are some stand-out bands that I'd recommend seeing:

2:10-3:00: Friendly Fires (Gobi Tent): I first saw these guys last year at the CMJ Festival in NYC (Lykke Li was on the same bill), I put up a review here that you can check out to get my thoughts. Exciting band in concert, definitely like the energy they bring to the stage. Should be a real cool set in the relatively small Gobi Tent.

"Jump In The Pool"

3:00-3:45: Gaslight Anthem (Outdoor Stage): After the Friendly Fires set, I'd make my way over to the Outdoor Stage to see these guys. One thing I found last year was that the crowd at the Outdoor Stage was never too big early in the day, you'll probably be able to get a good spot close to the stage. Really like what I've heard from these guys this year.

"Great Expectations"

4:05-4:55: Lykke Li (Outdoor Stage): I think I'd end up sticking around at the Outdoor Stage to see Lykke Li perform after the Gaslight Anthem. I thought she was really good when I saw her last year, she's got a nice voice and some really solid songs. The one thing I'd be a bit worried about would be how she'd do on a stage this size. I saw her in a small venue (Bowery Ballroom) and I think it was a good fit but I could see her getting drowned out a bit in a larger venue.

"Little Bit"

5:00-5:50: Peter Bjorn & John (Main Stage): After Lykke, I'd just take the short walk over to the main stage to see this trio. I think they just released another album so there should be a lot of new material. Anyways, I liked what these guys did with their last album and it's definitely a big step to be playing the main stage in the evening after playing one of the tents in 2007, so hopefully they'll put on a good show.

"Objects Of My Affection"

6:15-7:15: Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Main Stage): I would just sit tight at the Main Stage to see the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. They also just released a new album and have been making a lot of recent TV appearances. Should be a good crowd gathered to see Karen O and the boys.

"Zero"

9:25-?: The Cure (Main Stage): I think I'd take a big break before the Cure, probably a good time for some drinks and dinner and to just rest up a bit. I've never gotten the chance to see these guys but I think this would be a great opportunity and a really cool setting. A nice way to finish up the festival if there's nothing else that interests you on the menu.

"Mint Car"

Well, that wraps up my three day preview, I hope you enjoyed it and maybe even found some good advice/suggestions in there. Hopefully I'll make it back for 2010, but I leave you with this.....some highlights from my trip last year.

2 comments:

Sara Perez said...

Thanks for the Coachella review & video, Pat. "Electric Feel" is my favorite songs. Reading your posts is making me look forward to ACL this year in a really big way. I mean, Pearl Jam is a rumored act! Really? That's just awesome! The line up is going to be released Tuesday. I can't wait. Yay!

Tremags said...

Pearl Jam is definitely playing ACL. I've heard rumors about DMB, Beastie Boys, Kings of Leon, Mos Def, John Legend, etc. I think Thievery Corporation got confirmed yesterday too. Should be a good festival.