Thursday, November 20, 2008

Album Recommendation: The Smiths, "The Sound of the Smiths"

One day in the mid-90s, I was hanging out at my local record shop Secret Sounds when I heard the Morrissey song, "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get". At the time, I was listening to mostly Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, etc. and obviously this didn't fit the exact mold. Something about Morrissey's voice really caught my ear and I ended up buying the album "Vauxhall & I" and listening to it constantly. It became a staple for me through the end of high school and beginning of college.

As I got more and more into his music, I started to go back and listen to some of his earlier work with his band The Smiths that was formed in the 80s. Slowly I started to build my collection and found many great songs that I still listen to quite often. Unfortunately, The Smiths were only together a short while and even though they've been offered large amounts of money to reunite, it doesn't look very promising. Morrissey has gone on to have a successful solo career and I saw fellow Smiths member Johnny Marr play guitar with Modest Mouse earlier this year. Who knows if they'll ever put their differences aside, but at least they put some good music out while they were together.

If you haven't ever given them a shot, I think this is a good place to start......the deluxe version was just released on Itunes recently. Here's one of my favorite tracks, "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out".

2 comments:

Tremags said...

Ha, good stuff!

Anonymous said...

Love this version too..

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=sije12JaKdA

Neil Finn with Johnny Marr..

Did you know that Neil is doing another Seven Worlds Collide? With Eddie Vedder & Johnny Marr again, couple of the dudes from Radiohead (it is shocking that I don't know their names.. forgive me, I'm tired!) A few of the guess from Wilco (ooooh) and KT Tunstall. Happening in January in Auckland.. I have tickets for 2 of the three shows, and I'm hoping for the good ticket fairy to provide the third!