Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Top 10 Albums of 2008

In my opinion, 2008 was kind of a strange year for music. I felt like many of the heavy hitters didn't particularly deliver but if nothing else, we had some great breakout albums. I feel like some of these new artists will be around for awhile so that's a great thing for the future.

One thing I try to ask myself when putting a list like this together is, "Can you put the album on and just let it play?". That's such a rare thing nowadays, and it certainly doesn't pertain to everything on the list, but I think this is a good collection of albums that are pretty solid from start to finish. I was able to get my list down to about 20 albums but only wanted 10 to make the cut.

I hope you enjoy the list and would love to hear your feedback/personal favorites from the year. Here we go.....

10. MY MORNING JACKET - EVIL URGES



This was one of my most anticipated albums of the year, I was really excited to get my hands on it. Although there are some GREAT songs on it, I felt like the album is slightly lacking as a whole. I feel like it never really gets into a rhythm and you have some real highs, but also some lows. One thing I like about the older My Morning Jacket albums is that they seem to really flow, I just feel like this time around it never gets that cohesion going. I think that it starts out pretty strong and has a really solid finish, but I just think the middle of the album is a bit lost. Songs like "Smokin' From Shootin'" and "Touch Me I'm Going To Scream (Part II)" are as good as anything I've heard from these guys, so there's still some real good stuff to listen to here. Knowing what they're capable of, I'll still be excited for their next release.


9. THE WHIGS - MISSION CONTROL



I kind of stumbled upon this record early in the year through some friends who work for ATO Records. Not only was I pleasantly surprised, but I found myself coming back to this album numerous times throughout the year. They really remind me of the type of band I grew up listening to in high school, kind of that late 90s alternative rock sound. "Right Hand on my Heart" was the first song I heard (and it immediately grabbed me), but I'm a huge fan of "I Never Want to go Home" and "Sleep Sunshine". This is a pretty good album that I don't think quite got the attention it deserves......nice job by this trio from Athens, GA.


8. SANTOGOLD - SANTOGOLD



This was another album that was early on my radar in 2008. I had seen her perform in mid-2007 with Mark Ronson and really liked her style and sound, I told anyone that would listen to look out for her. I think she did a great job with her debut, I love the flow and energy to the album....I rarely find myself skipping around. Even if you haven't picked this disc up yet, I'm sure you've heard at least a few songs through the various advertising campaigns they've been featured in this year. I feel like she's just getting started and I'm anxious to see what she follows up with next, but this will hold me over for awhile.


7. MGMT - ORACULAR SPECTACULAR



I have a hard time thinking back to when I first heard about MGMT, I think it was sometime in mid-late 2007. I first heard "Time to Pretend" somewhere and starting searching out other songs by the band. At the beginning of 2008, I found out they were playing Coachella and got the release and the rest is history. I don't know how you'd classify them, maybe electropop/dance.....hard to say but the music is fun and catchy, sometimes that's all that should matter. This is a really listenable album, songs like "Kids" and "Electric Feel" carry the load and the other tracks are nice compliments.


6. THE BLACK KEYS - ATTACK & RELEASE



I have seen and read several top 10 lists already this year and I expect to see a wide range of bands, albums, etc. One thing I do not understand is that I haven't seen this record listed ANYWHERE. This is a really good album, with some powerful songs and lyrics. I'll admit that it took me awhile to get into these guys but they put out some great music, especially when you consider they're just a duo! One thing I love about this band is that since they're only two guys, you can really focus on the drums and guitar. Sometimes with albums things get too muddy and this is the exact opposite, you're able to sit back with a pair of headphones and appreciate all the individual parts. I think this is a fantastic album and certainly one of the best of the year.


5. FLEET FOXES - FLEET FOXES



I got into this album late in the year and if I had spent some more time with it, it may have even been higher on my list. Probably one of the great albums put out this year that you can just sit back and enjoy.....don't think there's a bad song on the record. When I first listened to this record, I felt like I had been a kid going through my parent's stash of vinyl in the basement of our old house. Just has a vintage sound to me, very warm and full. "White Winter Hymnal" and "Blue Ridge Mountains" are the songs I hear people talking about but my favorite is "Ragged Wood", what a great tune. I'm looking forward to spending more time getting into this one and I think we're in for some great things from these guys in the future. It may not be 1991, but maybe Seattle's Sub Pop Records is looking strong with these guys on board.


4. VAMPIRE WEEKEND - VAMPIRE WEEKEND



I pretty much loved this album from the first time I heard it in January when it was first released. It's easy for me to put this one so high because I have really played it a lot throughout the year. After my first listen, I remember telling people that it reminded me of Paul SImon's "Graceland" version 2.0. I guess it was the mix of Pop with African beats but that's the closest thing I could compare it to, really a unique style that I hadn't heard in years. I really like their sound, very creative work and I'm looking forward to their future work.


3. MATTHEW GOOD - LIVE AT MASSEY HALL



I might be cheating with this record a bit since it's a live album of mostly older material, but I guess that's the advantage of running your own blog. Matthew Good is one of my favorite singer-songwriters and I've been awaiting a live album like this for years. There are so many good songs on this release that it's hard to pick favorites, but the live version of "Blue Skies Over Badlands" is one of the greatest things I've ever heard (I've probably played it over 500 times since getting it a few months back). Good has several solid albums but I like that he's finally able to show off some of his range and the overall strength in his voice that sometimes doesn't come through on the studio releases. Even though he's had a hell of a career in Canada, I'm not sure he'll ever catch on in the US, but I think he puts his best out there this time around, really a high quality piece of work.


2. KINGS OF LEON - ONLY BY THE NIGHT



I've been a fan of these guys for several years now and really liked a lot of their previous work. "Only By The Night" was the album that sealed the deal for me, I just love it. I think it's a great mix of songs, various tempos, layers, etc. I feel like I'm reading a great book with each chapter telling a different tale while still staying within the story line. "Use Somebody" blew me away when I first heard it, just a great rock song. "Cold Desert" is not only my favorite song of the year, but has become one of my favorite songs of all time. To me, Kings of Leon just seems like a band that gets better and better with each release and I think they did a hell of a job with their latest.


1. BON IVER - FOR EMMA, FOREVER AGO



Well, this is about as good an album as I've heard in a long time. A couple friends of mine tried to get me to listen to Bon Iver early in 2008 and for whatever reason, it took me until the summer to sit down and give it the proper time......but I'm glad I did. There isn't one bad track at the album and just an amazing collection of songs, one after another. What's been interesting is that I seem to have a new favorite song each month, first "Lump Sum", then "Blindsided", then "The Wolves", on and on. It's just a beautiful piece, the vocals are haunting.....it's proven to be the perfect soundtrack for some long walks alone through the city. "For Emma, Forever Ago" just seems like an album that will stick with me for years to come, and remind of the year that was 2008.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good list. What happened to Frightened Rabbit? HAve you listened to them yet? Thanks for the list.