Friday, January 23, 2009

Jess King @ National Underground - 1/22/09



Last night I took a trip downtown to the National Underground to see singer/songwriter Jess King. I've probably walked by this club about a hundred times over the years, so it was good to walk in for a night to see a great performance. Jess went to college with my buddy Scott, one of my best friends, so I was happy to make the trek to see her sing.

Jess has a great voice, it's pretty hard to compare to many contemporary acts. As I told her after the set, at times she reminded me of Natalie Merchant and at other times she reminded me of Ani Difranco. One thing with seeing musicians is that you either have it, or you don't.....and Jess definitely has it. She's got a really strong voice, plays keyboard and is complemented in her live act by an acoustic guitar and viola. Basically, it works, the talent is there and she's definitely worth seeing. I really enjoyed the show and will be sure to check her out next time she comes around. You can listen to some of her tracks here.

Here's a good taste for what you're in for:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey It's Brian, Jess' manager. Thanks for the love! Sorry I couldn't be there, but I'd love to find out whether we could discuss the press kit and our attempts to get her signed ... we all know she's a star! Please let me know - you can reach me at btrishere@hotmail.com

THanks!

Brian