Monday, January 26, 2009

Obama Staff Party Update



Late last week I found out that a friend of mine was actually able to attend the staff party for our new President. I asked him if he'd write some thoughts (a short description) for the blog and here's what he sent me. Special thanks to Emmett for sending this in.....

"Having worked on the Obama campaign for a year, I was privy to many surreal moments along the way. Maybe it was the two month break I had since Election Day, but I was taken by surprise at how quickly I returned to that lifestyle when I attended Wednesday night's Staff Ball at the DC Armory. After going through metal detectors and checking my coat, I was shocked to hear none other than Arcade Fire, my favorite band currently together (and making relevant albums), belting out Neighborhood #3 (Power Out).

Unfortunately, by the time I had explained to my date just how lucky we were to be seeing such an incredible band in such a unique setting and called my diehard Arcade Fire fan friends to tell them where I was, the band was finishing up Rebellion (Lies), which happened to be their final song of the night.

Afterward, we got to see Kal Penn dish out some dirt about campaigning for Barack (which he did a lot, by the way), and Vice President Biden tell us that this campaign will be studied in the history books for years to come. Campaign Manager David Plouffe, the "mastermind" of Obama for America, then introduced President Obama, who seemed to genuinely enjoy speaking to his former staff. Still, it wasn't until Jay-Z came on to sing "99 Problems" (with a special twist for the occassion) that I was reminded of the lyrics from a certain song I had heard earlier that night: "Is it a dream? / Is it a lie? / I guess I'll let you decide."

1 comment:

bethany said...

Thanks for including (and requesting) that insight, Pat. It brought me back to Ohio in 2004....

Ahh, well... Kerry's loss is a contributing factor to Obama's win, which makes it all the more satisfying that I truly wanted Obama to win and Kerry was just the lesser of two evils. I liked him, but not enough.

Ahhhh... the campaign life. There is nothing quite like it...